Our House of Worship
St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Orthodox Church
A Brief History
The origins of St. Michael's Church can be traced to the 1903 founding of an Independent Greek Church congregation in the Zawale District southwest of Andrew, AB. In 1918 - 1920, the membership divided between those who wanted to remain with the Presbyterian backed Independent Church and those who wished to join the newly established Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada. In late 1929, supporters of the latter resolved to construct their own place of worship at NW 36-55-17-W4. Work began that winter, with William Dorosh being hired as the building contractor and Steve Hrudey acting as the foreman. In June 1930, Fr. Teodor Kisiliuk celebrated the first liturgy in the new church. Despite many hardships, St. Michael's provided for the spiritual needs of the faithful for many decades until it was impossible to maintain due to rural depopulation. The no longer used sanctuary was moved to present Bar-v-nok site in March 1994, where it was subsequently restored. It was blessed at a hierarchical liturgy officiated by Archbishop John of Edmonton in 1995. This historic building now stands here as a reminder of the Ukrainian Orthodox pioneers in Alberta and their dedication to their faith.